Thursday, March 8, 2012

Facebook Parenting: too far or just right?

In case you haven't seen it, watch this video of a dad teaching his daughter a lesson about disrespectful facebook posts:


This video has gone absolutely viral, over 31 million views and it has been shown on numerous news channels. This father/daughter duo was being interviewed on a TV program I watched last night and the main question was, "Do you think you took it too far by publicly humuliating your daughter?"

I couldn't help but feel sorry for this dad. Over and over again the interviewer tried to get him to say that he was wrong by posting this video, but I don't see why he is getting such negative feedback. Anyone that I have shown this video to has had the reaction of "good for him" or "she clearly needed an attitude adjustment, and she got it." The overwhelming support I have seen viewers have for him and this video makes it hard for me to believe that there are a large number of adults out there who are so against this video. Teenage girls, on the other hand, probably don't enjoy this video quite as much.

In my personal opinion, this father was disrespected and reacted accordingly. One argument against this video is that he is setting a bad example by posting publicly on the internet (the very thing he was punishing his daughter for). But let's think about this... what is the most effective way for kids to learn lessons growing up? Hearing lectures from their parents, or making a mistake and learning from it through their own personal experiences? If nothing else, I think this dad showed his daughter just how dangerous it can be to post such things publicly. You could argue that this "tit for tat" response was immature of the father, but if it is an effective way to teach his daughter, in this case, I can't help but to support his actions.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I do feel that maybe it went a little too far with him posting it on facebook, but at the same time it seemed as though that might be just what she needed to get over herself. I remember being 15, and I wish someone would have made me grow up.

    ReplyDelete